One of the major checklist items when you get down to the final month in your pregnancy is “packing your hospital bag.” I failed to check this item off the list until I’d already gone into labor with Abigail (at which point I crawled around on the floor, mid-contractions, trying to assemble things that made sense), so this time around I decided to get it taken care of early.
Everyone will have their own opinions about what you should pack and there are a gazillion sample lists out there (here are a couple :: the bump :: lil sugar :: baby center), but I’m allllllll about simplicity. I packed only what I will really need and what I will actually use (which I actually did a pretty good job of last time as well, but this time I have even less…what can I say, I’m pretty darn low maintenance and I know the hospital will provide almost everything for me).
Plus, why ruin my stuff when I can ruin their stuff that’s meant to be ruined!?
Anyway, here’s my bag ::
- Lululemon duffel bag (it’s probably 4+ years old and I take it on all my trips)
Here’s what’s in my bag ::
- Josie Maran Argan Balm (hospitals are dry…this will keep me nice and moisturized…and I love ANYTHING Josie Maran…I think I’m close to owning the entire line – told you Malinda! haha)
- Happy Monkey Slippers (I wore the same ones when I was in labor with Abby so I’m bringing them again – all the nurses told me not to so they wouldn’t get “ruined,” but they survived just fine and I’m sure they will this time around as well…plus, they were $10.00 and I’ve never worn them in between pregnancies so I’m not entirely worried about ruining them)
- Going home outfit for Mac (three options depending on how big she is and depending on which polka dots are speaking to us that day – thanks to Christopher and Malinda for the loaner clothes!!!)
- Swaddle and Blanket for Mac
- Going home outfit for Mommy (my standard yoga pants, a tank top, a nursing bra in case it’s more comfortable, socks, shoes, and a new nursing sweater that’s not black!!!)
- 2 granola bars (I probably won’t eat these, but just in case…Travis could always eat them!)
- Small camera (just in case our monster camera and iPhones and iPads aren’t enough)
- File folder (it has our Power of Attorney, Insurance Info, and any other paperwork pertaining to Mac…and yes, it was labeled #2 until we chose her name…nice and personalized)
Here’s what I still need to pack ::
- makeup (because while I may be low maintenance, it doesn’t mean I want to feel like I was hit by a truck when people come to visit us…I will most definitely be wearing mascara at the very least)
- iPhone, charger, big camera, charger, iPad (with fancy new case from Travis as part of my push present…yes, before I push Mac out), charger
Here’s what Travis needs to pack (not much because if we forget anything, we’re only 8 minutes away from home) ::
- iPad, charger, camera, charger, phone, charger (lots of chargers!) :: basically, he’s in charge of all things electronic
Here’s what’s in the car ::
- infant car seat
- presents :: Mac to Abby and Abby to Mac
Here’s what the hospital will provide me (things that are on some of these lists that I simply won’t need) ::
- huge pads for all the post-baby bleeding (lovely, I know)
- diapers, wipes, vaseline, clothes for Mac
- those big mesh undies (which people complain about and I have no idea why…the ones at CPMC were perfectly fine and it didn’t matter at ALL if they were ruined)
- a ratty robe
- ice packs, ice packs, and more ice packs
And I think that just about sums it up…that’s what I’ve packed and what I will be packing!
Am I missing any super important items?! I’m all ears!