Classes, Clubs, and Activities in San Francisco

Saying “goodbye for now” to Kiki & Gappy means there will be many changes in our lives.  One of the changes will be the fact that I need to seek out more activities (not to mention daytime friends for both myself and Abby).  Our apartment is shrinking by the day and we will no longer have the outlet of heading over to their place to let Abby run around and chase Belle.

Problem is…I have no idea where to start.

I’ve looked into some of the classes through the library and the times appropriate for Abby’s age group are during her nap time. Hmm…

I went down to Peekadoodle Kidsclub today (in Fisherman’s Wharf area) and call me crazy, but the place left me feeling overwhelmed, claustrophobic, and stressed out.  Maybe they were in between classes or maybe I was just freaked out because there were 150 kids (an exaggeration, but it felt like it) running around, but I left feeling very unsettled.

I’m not saying we’ll never go back. We signed up through GGMG for a 2 month trial membership (that unfortunately won’t start until June 11th)…but I suppose I’m just saying I was expecting more. More space. More light. More instruction. Maybe a tour of the place?

Truth be told, visiting places like this for the first time stresses me out (I’m not a fan of doing things I’ve never done before…not a trait I want Abby to get from me, but it’s simply a part of my personality) so I was proud of myself for going.  I’m sad to report I was disappointed in my experience.

Ugh.

With that said, for all you Moms in the Bay Area…where do you enjoy taking your kids?  Are there classes you highly recommend (for an extremely active 14+ month old)?  Activities you’d suggest?  Outdoor or Indoor (but if they’re indoor, are there any places with higher ceilings and/or natural light???)…I’m all ears!

Am I expecting too much!?  I know I live in San Francisco so part of me expects that any indoor activity will feel slightly cramped, but I suppose I was hoping for more…especially when there’s such a hefty price tag on a yearly membership.

Any suggestions are welcome!  Abby and I need to branch out and move beyond the park in the Marina (where we’ll probably be later this afternoon once she wakes up…) – thanks!

7x7xMommy

You may also like...

15 Responses

1. Megan B.B. says:

Take that little girl to swim lessons!!!!!!!! 🙂
    The Y is great with those, and things are sold by sessions. They start at 6 months old.

^^^ That’s my post about how/why swim lessons rocks. 🙂

• chris sandman says:

Yes, yes…the Y and swim lessons…Abby loves her water!!!!!!! Sign up tomorrow 🙂 🙂

• 7x7xMommy says:

This is a great suggestion, Megan…and I love your post – thanks for sharing!! 🙂 Hey, and I love the Y too…it’s where I got my start in basketball (as the only girl on a “co-ed” team!).

2. lucy says:

Its across the bridge, but check out tilden park. They have the steam trains, a playground, and farm animals. When the weather gets better try the carousel there too! The other spots that are supposed to be great are the oak zoo and fairyland. Theres also the sf zoo if u want a closer to home animal experience. Nicos daycare lady would take the kids to story time at barnes and noble too. If i go back to 4day work weeks we can plan a play date!

• 7x7xMommy says:

Oh yes, I’ve heard of Tilden Park but we’ve never been…great suggestion, thanks Lucy! I’ve never heard of fairyland so I’ll have to check that out too. And if you go back to 4 days a week, I want to know immediately! Our girls seem too similar (spunky and crazy) not to be friends! 🙂

3. A Nature Mom says:

I recommend you check out the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito. They have music classes for little kids. And then you could hang out at the great outdoor play area. Or for free, you could hang out on the beach at Crissy Field – bring sand toys. The SF Zoo is fun, too. Just walk around and look at animals. Great children’s zoo section.

• 7x7xMommy says:

Thank you so much for your recommendations (and I just checked out your blog where I’m sure I’ll find more ideas!!!). Abby LOVES music so music classes would be perfect as well. Ha, and we’ve never even been to the SF Zoo…another must! I need to start writing my list of things to do… 🙂 Thanks again!

4. Megan B.B. says:

I saw this also when I was there, and it looked super fun. They put up a bounce house, and there were lots of kids Abby’s age.

• Megan B.B. says:

Sorry, I feel like I’m spamming you! Ok so the presidio Y is also awesome because that “jungle gym” program also happens in a gymnasium. So big ceiling.
      And there is free parking.
      And it’s RIGHT next to the pool, which they have 2, one for lap swimming and a warmer (like 90 degree) pool meant for the kiddos.

• 7x7xMommy says:

Ohhh, I love this! We need to check out the Presidio Y immediatly 🙂

5. Sarah says:

We won a 3 month membership to Peekadoodle. It wasn’t my favorite place either (and the price is insane). Charlie did a class and loved it, however.
    My recommendations would be memberships at: discovery museum in Sausalito (tons of outside and inside stuff); academy of sciences (special tot room to escape the craziness there on some days); Oakland zoo. Oh and move out to Marin where there’s lots of sun… and Lulu, Eddie and Charlie!

• 7x7xMommy says:

The price is definitely insane…that would be hard to justify!
      Great recommendations and I especially love the last one…as our apartment continues to shrink, I can’t help but think of how badly I want (need) more space!!! Who knows…we may be making a move sooner rather than later!

1. April 18, 2012

[…] my experience at Peekadoodle (refresh your memory here), I was pleasantly surprised by the Bay Area Discovery Museum.  First of all, the location […]

%d bloggers like this: