Adios, Baby Bottles!

Way back on January 31st, I wrote a post about Abigail’s 12 Month Stats.  At the end of that post, I highlighted three things we needed to work on.  The three items were the following:

• Bye Bye, Binky!
  • Adios, Baby Bottles!
  • Patience with Sleep Regression…it’s normal!

While we’ve made some progress on the first bullet point, we have definitely not said “Bye Bye” to the binky quite yet.  After further investigation and some conversations with other professionals in the child rearing field, we’ve come to learn that right now, it’s okay that Abby has a binky.  As we’ve been told multiple times now, “she’s going to end up putting something in her mouth…might as well be something that’s supposed to be there.”  Don’t get me wrong, we want to phase out the binky, but it’s not TOP priority right now.

So what has been top priority (after tackling sleep regression, of course)?  Bullet point #2: Adios, Baby Bottles.  And let me tell you…this one has caused some stress!  She drinks out of sippy cups, cups with straws, and other various cups…but she will only drink water out of them.  If I try and trick her with some milk, she looks at me like I’m insane and throws it on the ground.  And when it comes to milk, she will only drink it out of a bottle. What a baby, right!?! 🙂

I’m happy to say, however, that two days ago everything changed. I handed her a new bottle we purchased at Whole Foods (the brand is “green sprouts”) and she pushed it away. Then I proceeded to cook her some mac’n’cheese and with my back turned to her (I was focusing on the stove) I asked her as kindly as I could, “Abigail, can you please just give it a try?  It’s milk. I promise you’ll love it.”

Silence.

I turned around and couldn’t believe my eyes. She was actually drinking milkout of the sippy cup. And she proceeded to do so until it was nearly gone.

I felt so incredibly happy and quite honestly, I felt relieved (because for the past month I’ve wondering if Abby would drink out of a baby bottle for the rest of her life…dramatic, I know…but I was feeling hopeless!).  I’m not sure if it was because I asked so nicely (probably not), or if it was simply because she was finally ready to give it a shot, but it worked.

And I’m happy to say that ever since two nights ago, she’s enjoyed her normal before bed milk straight out of a sippy cup.

Go Mommy!

It’s more evidence that when it comes to parenting, we must try and try again (and not be TOO hard on ourselves!)…they’ll get the hang of it…whatever that “it” may be.

PS…to update you briefly on “Sleep Regression” (bullet point #3), she’s been sleeping amazingly ever since we let her cry it out. She’s still sleeping 10-11 hours every night (knock on wood as always!).

Have a great weekend,

7x7xMommy

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. chris says:

Awwwww, Abby is awesome!

2. Ciara says:

Wow – great work you two!! We are having the same problem weaning the bottle AND transitioning from formula to homo milk. I’m trying to mix them so she gets used to the taste of milk but if I put anything more than about 25% milk in the bottle she won’t drink it, and no luck at all with sippy cups!! Aiii I am trying to be patient but it’s so tough.. I think I’ll look for the green sprouts cup next time I’m at Whole Foods – fingers crossed!!

• 7x7xMommy says:

Haha, thanks! I definitely gave myself a pat on the back the other day (even though it’s Abby who really took the big step!). 🙂 Sounds like you’re definitely going through quite the transition right now…have you tried introducing the milk when she’s really tired? When we first started with milk, Abby didn’t want it at all so one night before bed (when she was pooped), we gave her milk and she was so tired that she didn’t complain. The next morning (when she was sleepy and waking up) we did the same thing…and then she drank milk from there on out. Bizarre, but it worked for us! And patience is soooo hard, but just keep trying…she’ll get there! Oh yes, and the green sprouts cup is cool because it comes in a whole pack of “transitional cups.” I’d definitely recommend it…good luck!!!

• Ciara says:

Thanks for these great suggestions. First thing this morning and right before bed she took a 50%milk/formula mix – progress for us!!
        Have a wonderful vacation – so well deserved!!!!

• 7x7xMommy says:

Oh yay! I’m soooooo happy to hear the blend (while sleepy) is working!!! Baby steps, right!? 🙂 and thanks, so far my trip has been wonderful!! 🙂

3. Wiebke says:

First of all, thank God, our ‘babies’ are almost the same age which makes it possible for me to stalk you in regards to all things parenting. Ha.

Second, I was wondering how much I should enforce the use of sippy cups instead of baby bottles. Now, I know. I’ll get right on that.

Third, that last photo of Abby chilling and indulging in her magic sippy cup looks like Emma.

• 7x7xMommy says:

1…I agree!!! It’s so nice to have other Mommy’s who are going through the same things!!! 🙂

2…I honestly had no clue until Abby’s 1 year appointment…her pediatrician seemed pretty adamant about us transitioning to a sippy cup.

3…awww I can totally see that! They’re so cute, aren’t they!?

%d bloggers like this: