Bye-Bye, Breastfeeding

It’s a bittersweet day in our household.

Today was the first day in over 8 months that I didn’t wake up and nurse my little girl.Β  Knowing that I would be feeling a little blue about it, 7x7xDaddy was super sweet and had the bottle prepared before she (and I) woke up. He’s the best.

I say it’s bittersweet because while I will miss the bonding experience of nursing, we still get to use up our supply of liquid gold (meaning she’ll have a feeding a day of Mommy’s milk for another month) and it also means that we’re one step closer to a growing family.

One person who doesn’t seem too terribly upset about the transition?Β  This little lady:

7x7xMommy

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Sarah P says:

Ending breastfeeding was always bittersweet for me, too (loved the freedom but missed the bonding). It will be sooooo worth it when you get pregnant again and Abby can be a big sis! I’m not sure how it will be when Lulu weans since she will be our last kiddo!

• 7x7xMommy says:

That’s so true, Sarah – it’ll definitely be worth it when we’re pregnant again!!! And I’m sure it’ll be tough ending breastfeeding with Lulu…but then you’ll have LOTS of freedom! πŸ™‚

2. Ciara says:

I hear you!! I stopped breastfeeding last month and it was definitely a bit sad/strange for a few days not to have that nursing bonding time with my baby girl. I try to make giving her a bottle special time as well – and have a few extra cuddles. And how exciting to imagine a new little one en route – totally worth it!

• 7x7xMommy says:

Ya, I agree with you on continuing to make feeding times special (we still sit in bed first thing in the morning as if I were nursing her) – lots of cuddle time is key as well (Abby’s going to be so sick of cuddling with me, haha). πŸ™‚

3. ode2moms says:

I know how you feel. I actually nursed Anabelle until she was 14 months, which I never thought I would do in the beginning…but due to some major transitions and her not taking a bottle, I didn’t feel we were ready to cut it off at the year mark or even earlier. Weaning her was difficult, because she was more verbal at this age and very upset. The only thing she would drink was goats milk! So we stuck with that for a while. I remember one night pulling her up to my chest to rock her and she didn’t even try to nurse like she normally would. I was surprisingly sad. At the same time, it felt good to finally have my body to myself. Almost a bit of freedom if you will. Good job Mama!! Good luck with the growing family πŸ™‚

• 7x7xMommy says:

Thanks for the feedback…isn’t it crazy how sad you can feel? Two weeks into being fully weaned, I’m feeling MUCH better about the whole thing!!!

4. Wiebke says:

I’m on your team now… πŸ™

5. Verna says:

It made me a little sad that my son didn’t miss breastfeeding more when I finally dried up. I know it’s hard!

%d bloggers like this: