As much as Abigail LOVES her Oatmeal, it’s time to introduce her to the next single-grain solid: Barley.
I have to be honest…I was a little nervous about making the switch. She was soooooo happy with Oatmeal. And when I was making the barley cereal (recipe below), it didn’t smell quite as tasty as the oatmeal did. Luckily enough for me though, Abigail has a more open mind than Mommy does…
Surprisingly enough, she appears to love barley as well (and just like everything else, I’ve mixed in some breast milk with it to sweeten it up). So far, it seems like she takes after her Daddy in the food category…she eats everything we give her (though I’m sure that’ll change at some point and I look forward to seeing her face when she dislikes something!).
This time around, KiKi did the honors of feeding her:
And like everything else I’ve made thus far, Barley Cereal was just as easy…here’s the recipe:
1/4 cup barley
3/4 cup – 1 cup water (I used 1 cup)
1. Grind barley into a powder using a food processor (or Magic Bullet!)
2. Bring liquid to boil in saucepan – add the barley powder while stirring constantly
3. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, whisking constantly until cooked
4. Mix in formula or breast milk if desired and serve warm
Up next: Vegetables (TBD on which one we’re going to start with – I’m just excited for some color)!
Here are some resources for you if you’d like to learn more about Starting Solids:
- Starting Solids (General Guidelines)
- PDF: Sample Schedule for Starting Solids
- Storing Baby Food (using ice cube trays)
Have fun and as always, let me know if you have any questions!